radian is a hand crafted drink coaster made from a variety of woods and plastic inlay.
Each piece is approximately 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" and is between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. Each one is unique. radian is currently sold out through my ETSY store, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to order.
The process of crafting radian is substantially similar to that of most of my jewelry pieces.
- Wood is selected, cut to size and roughly sanded.
- Shallow grooves are cut into the piece in a unique random pattern. The initial cut for each groove is made on my customized table saw. The section which wraps down the side of the piece is cut by hand with a jewelers saw.
- Plastic inlay material is applied to the piece to fill the grooves.
- To finish, the piece is finely sanded to ease sharp edges and sealed with a clear wood sealer.
- The back of the piece is painted a gloss black.
Materials: Wood, plastic inlay, clear wood sealer, gloss black paint.
I hand craft radian and my other series of wood jewelry and home things in my workshop located in Tucson, Arizona.